Removing Old Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im just in the process of refitting a bathroom and wanted some advice on removing the toilet as it is quite an old toilet by the looks of things and im not sure what is the best way to tackle the removal of this toilet without causing any damage to the underground pipe.

The collar I assume needs to be chipped away using a chisel and mallet so its flush with the floor and then use a multikwik/swan neck attachment to fit to the new toilet which will have a horizontal waste pipe - I assume there will be a gap behind the cistern where i would have to build a shelf or something.

The other problem is the toilet does not seem to have any bolts which attach it to the ground?? i dug into the holes on the side of the toilet (As seen in pic) using a screwdriver but all im pulling up is rubble/dust.

I have attached a picture which shows the problem

Any advice is very much appreciated...

thanks

Sponsored Links
im not really bothered about the tiles around the base as they will need to go anyway, so if i cant wiggle the toilet off the base i guess i need to smash it up?

and the cement around the pipe do i take that down so its level with the floor? or do i try and tap around the top of the cement so i can pull the toilet with the pipe out of there?

You may end up smashing it to get it out :eek:
As for the pipe it depends what it's made of, it would look better flush with the floor but it might crack in the places you don't want it too. Just take it steady.

Sponsored Links
See if you can get the toilet pan out whole, put a towel [old] down the soil pipe to stop any ceramic or concrete getting into the soil pipe when you chop it back.

See if you can get the toilet pan out whole, put a towel [old] down the soil pipe to stop any ceramic or concrete getting into the soil pipe when you chop it back.

That's no fun. I love smashing round the base of an old toilet and watching it topple. :LOL: :LOL:

use an angle grinder to cut the outlet flush to the floor, quite often if the pans cemented to floor knocking a bolster inbetween the pan and the floor can 'pop' the pan free from the floor

thanks for the replies guys,

i dont think im gonna use an angle grinder theres not enough space to be using that, but thanks for the suggestion

use one to weaken certain bits on the pan/ connection to soil pipe so when you take a hammer to it you wont crack the earthenware soil pipe below ground, crack that and you'll be in the s h i t as it were

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back