Removing old UPVC French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

In a few weeks I’ll be having new Bifold doors replacing our old UPVC French doors. To save a bit of money (£250), I told the installers that I will remove and dispose of the old doors myself.

How do I go about deconstructing this thing (see image 1), so that it is ready for the installers?

I’m thinking:
1. Remove the door from the hinges (see image 2)
2. When the door is removed, I’m assuming I will have access to the screws affixing the frame to the brickwork (although I’m not sure how the other side is held in place as when the side window is open, I can access just one screw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 8BE59351-4C82-4E1F-B735-2AA43983DEAD.jpeg
    8BE59351-4C82-4E1F-B735-2AA43983DEAD.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 885F77B3-E934-4E29-BFE4-01A6F4A3A77C.jpeg
    885F77B3-E934-4E29-BFE4-01A6F4A3A77C.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 691
  • 18C7B4AD-85FA-4F30-82A7-10699D1D7CAC.jpeg
    18C7B4AD-85FA-4F30-82A7-10699D1D7CAC.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 374
Sponsored Links
The weight of the glass is a significant part of the overall weight of the door so remove it first.

When the doors are removed the locations of the frame fixings should be apparent.

Blup

The weight of the glass is a significant part of the overall weight of the door so remove it first.

When the doors are removed the locations of the frame fixings should be apparent.

Blup

Thank you- The entire unit consists of a door, window and a large pane of glass. I feel fairly confident in removing the door, but how do I remove the large pane of glass? There are no obvious places where it is being held in place.

Firstly unscrew the opening window sash.

You will need to deglaze the large pane of glass from the window to access the rest of the fixings on that side. Yours look to be internally beaded (hard to tell from the pics) if so you just need a thin scrapper to prise the beads out. Look were the shaped molded part around the glass joins the flat part of the frame, Start in the middle of the longest side and try to force the scraper in.
It is possible that they are externally beaded though. An outside close up pic would help us check.

Whether you deglaze or dehang the door is upto you, It would make handling easier if you are on your own and yes you can just undo the screws you mentioned.
Dehanging the door will not reveal any more fixings though. They should be visible when the door is open just like the fixing you can see in the open window sash.

If you can get it all out without damage then you can probably sell them on Facebook to save disposing of and make a few quid.
Ask for £50 for the door and the window free to whoever collects. Large windows very rarely sell.

Sponsored Links
Firstly unscrew the opening window sash.

You will need to deglaze the large pane of glass from the window to access the rest of the fixings on that side. Yours look to be internally beaded (hard to tell from the pics) if so you just need a thin scrapper to prise the beads out. Look were the shaped molded part around the glass joins the flat part of the frame, Start in the middle of the longest side and try to force the scraper in.
It is possible that they are externally beaded though. An outside close up pic would help us check.

Whether you deglaze or dehang the door is upto you, It would make handling easier if you are on your own and yes you can just undo the screws you mentioned.
Dehanging the door will not reveal any more fixings though. They should be visible when the door is open just like the fixing you can see in the open window sash.

If you can get it all out without damage then you can probably sell them on Facebook to save disposing of and make a few quid.
Ask for £50 for the door and the window free to whoever collects. Large windows very rarely sell.

Superb/ thank you for that gazman. It looks like it should be a relatively straightforward job!

Just below the top opener hinge I can see a concrete screw, so you will likely find a few of those around the frame. They are a largish star type head.

When you remove the large piece of glass take care that you don't end up with a heavy unit heading your way rapidly! S second pair of hands with gloves would be very helpful if you don't have a suction thing to remove it with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back