Removing olives from pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just sorting through stuff and have found a few copper lengths with olives stuck strongly to them.

Is there a knack to loosening an olive without damaging it or the pipe ?

Sponsored Links
If the fitting has been over-tightened then the tube will be necked - no point in removing the olive as the tube is useless.

You can either cut the olive off with a hacksaw or use an olive puller if the tube hasn't been damaged

You could try an adjustable spanner over the pipe and hit the compression nut against the olive to force it off.
Depends how brutal you want to be really and if you want to re-use the pipe.

If these are odd ends of copper, for the inch or so you would save by removing olives its not worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
Rothenberger olive splitter, or olive puller.

Or just cut the pipe with a hacksaw just behind the olive.

Sounds as though you're going save £££££££££££ :D

MON2030.jpg

Thanks chaps.

Just thought I'd ask as I'm always on the look out to save materials where I can. People throw away far too much when they could save, repair and reuse =)

If its a straight length of tube then putting a brass nut ( backwards ) and then tapping it down will get most olives off with minimal damage to tube or olive!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back