Removing or supporting a chimney gatherer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to open up a fireplace in order to install a log-burner. This is what I have so far
sZEw8N0.jpg

Providing its possible I would(using acro props) like to insert a lintel above the lintel that is currently in place.
This will give me a bit extra height. I would also like to widen the entrance by removing the bricks on the right (as you face it), by moving them over by approx a bricks width. I cant extend left because I would be going into the cavity. But right is fine because there is a large void going most of the width of the bungalow.
I think that this is all possible??
However, unfortunately the gatherers are just behind the existing lintel, and of course they are sitting on the right hand wall which I want to move over.
rrTznIe.jpg

I would very much like them not to be visible after the fireplace has been opened up. Would it be possible for me to put a couple of supports from back to front above the new lintel which could be used to support the gatherers above and then remove the brick below?
Is this possible or am I playing with fire. I am inserting a liner so I dont need the gatheres to be present.
Any thoughts/help most welcome. I would like to have a go at this myself, but I wont be offended if you think that this is a job for a professional.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
use the search button for - installing wood stove in chimney breast.
an similar postsbelow.
lots of simial posts in last few weeks

what you have is straightforward, a brickie would make short work of it.

Sorry about the delay in responding to your post.
I feel a lot more confident about what I hope we can do. I will search for these other posts and have a read.
On closer investigation I notice that the gathers are well tied in to the front and back walls. I know that they will still
need supporting, but I dont think they will immediately fall down if I remove the lower bricks.

Hopefully today, or next week, a brickie has said that he would have a look. Hopefully I can persuade him to give me a hand.

Thank you bobasd for your help.
I will post what the brickie has to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back