removing paint from external brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not talking about the odd accidental splash of paint here, I HATE painted brickwork (can think of no situation where painting bricks improves the look) but we are looking at moving house and a number of potential dwellings have had their external brickwork painted over.

Just wondered if there is any way of effectively removing paint from bricks in order to restore the original surface finish please?

If there is, would this be a DIY option or do I need to look for a professional remedy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The chemicals used are definitely not DIY and I doubt any reputable supplier would even sell them to you.

Some systems use brush on chemicals that are then covered in polythene to prevent the solvents from evaporating too quickly. Trade/industrial rated pressure washers are then used (after multiple chemical/poly applications).

After the paint is removed you may need to re-point the brickwork.

Expect prices in the region of £10K for a single bay front elevation (London prices and assuming that there is little damage to the pointing).

One situation where painting the bricks does improve the appearance is where different colour bricks have been used for a repair, alteration, or extension.

I have seen houses that have been sandblasted. This certainly gets the paint off, though I suspect a fine layer of the original surface would also get removed.

Thanks for the replies, easiest option would seem to be to avoid houses with painted brickwork

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is yes.

The worst houses are the ones that had the sprayed-on texture finish. The finishes were marketed by the same kind of people who market the clear water repellent finishes. It goes without saying that many of them used sleight of hand to hoodwink people into damaging their homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back