removing paint from glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an easy way to remove paint that has been used to entirely cover two glass window panels? I've tried nitromors and scraping with a blade but to no effect.

If anyone's got an answer I'd be really grateful! :D

Sponsored Links
What sort of paint - if emulsion then you need to use the emulsion nitromors.

Sorry for not getting back sooner - busy weekend. I'm not sure if it's emulsion but I'll try the nitromors I have again - though last time it had no effect.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Really hot water might do the trick too..if it is emulsion.

or..try duct tape..leave it over night and then pull at it.

Thanks, joe-90.

Sorry to say I tried the duct tape and had no luck. This paint is hard set. I'll try nitromors again (with the scraper).

I've never met paint that one of those razor scrapers won't shift.

Success! I think the main problem has been how many layers of paint have been plastered over the glass (I reckon at least three). But I'm now down to pure glass and scraping off the tricky bits between the textured bumps.

Incidentally I found polycell stripper better than nitromors but that may have been a cumulative effect with polycell being the last stripper I used on what was by then a heavily scored surface.

Thanks to all of you. Great forum. :D

scraping off the tricky bits between the textured bumps.

:D

The glass was textured ? now you tell us lol..

I still can't see why you had such trouble. Wonder did you leave the Nitromorse for 30 min or so to do it's job. Or did you start scraping too soon?
Just curious.

One side is textured, the other's smooth. I didn't think it'd make much difference since the major hassle was getting the layers of paint off. Why? Is there an easy answer for textured glass? (Cos I'm still picking away and boy is it painstaking!)

Not sure why nitromors wasn't more effective. I left it at least an hour after I put it on, and tried to score the paint as much as poss before. The layers were thick - don't know if that explains it - and had been on the glass probably 20+ years, more with the lower layers.

I have just moved into a flat with similar glass panels with textured on one side smooth on other.

Many layers of paint have been applied to stop light coming through and I have tried nitromores, scrapers, wire brush attatchment on drill, and I am getting nowhere very fast.

Will try the other tips mentioned, but this stuff is stuck like super glue.

If any other new tips are available please let me know and I will give them a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back