Removing paint from lime plaster indoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We have a south facing bay window in an 1890 first floor flat. The bay window has had lots of issues with water coming in - we have had the flat roof and windows replaced over recent years to tackle this. Recently the paint under the windows was crumbling off. After getting several opinions on the issue, we had a plasterer remove the existing non-lime plaster and redo it with lime plaster which is supposed to be breathable so more suited to the age of the wall.

After this, there was a lot of efflorescence but it appeared to have calmed down and was looking dry enough by 8 weeks later. I then painted it with clay paint (Earthborn), however, 4 weeks later, the paint is peeling off again in areas and some corners are looking mouldy!

I think I didn't leave it long enough before painting, so I'd like to remove the paint then leave it a bit longer before trying again. Some of the paint is coming off easily using a metal scraper. Please could anyone recommend the best method for removing the rest? Sanding or chemical?

BTW we'd happily get someone in to sort it out, if we knew what we wanted and could pin down the right person!

Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20210103_114624267.jpg
    PXL_20210103_114624267.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 190
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Mould issue aside which looks like condensation, did you damp the walls prior to painting and then thin the first coat?
Is the outside also breathable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back