Removing paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently tried to re paint my bathroom, first two walls fine but as I started to paint the final two, the paint started peeling off under my roller and then sticking back on the wall in lumpy patches. I started sanding it down to try and remove the loose paint but i think Id be going for days trying to get it off like that.

I think the reason it's coming off is because I've sprayed a lot of bleach on the walls to remove mould patches which appear regularly as no window to ventilate and the extractor only does so much.

I need to remove all the paint back to the plaster and start again so what is the easiest and cheapest way to do this? I though maybe an electric sander but I've been advised this may damage the plaster. The house is only 3 years old so plaster is in great condition and does not need re doing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Or could I use a paint stripper?

Sponsored Links
Did you thin your first coats?

What do you mean by thinning the first coat? The paint on the walls currently was done by the builder if that's what you mean, so I'm not sure. I just need to get it off somehow and preferably not with elbow grease!

If you don't thin the first coat it will do exactly what you describe. It's hard to fix now.

Sponsored Links
It could be that the original paint wasn’t very well adhered but using bleach or any chemical on paint is not a good idea & is the most likely cause of your problem, nothing to do with thinning the first/mist coats (thinned 25-30%) which is what joe is on about & is only necessary on new/bare plaster. But thinning emulsion around 10% is always a good idea as it gives a better finish.

Leave it a while & hope the bleach softened paint dries out & hardens again, then sand the affected areas to blend in & mist coat the bare plaster before repainting but don’t sand the plaster.

If the original coat wasn't mist coated it will peel, bleach or no bleach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back