removing paint on plasterboard prior to skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my plasterer says that it would be useful if i could remove a layer of paint sitting on top of a plaster that he wants to plaster over. The PVA might not stick too well to the paint , so it really ought to come off.
My question is , is there a product or technique to get this paint off?. Ive tried steaming it , but it's not really working very well?

Sponsored Links
Why is the plastering saying it needs removing?
I would just remove any loose/flaky paint, then a gentle sand down to form a key to paint, then PVA prime it.

We had two ceilings recently re-skimmed in my daughters house come down where new plaster stuck to the paint with the help of a good dose of pva but that coat of paint became detached from the layer of paint underneath :rolleyes:

I scraped the paint off back to one stubborn layer and scratched through to the plaster. The new plaster won't be coming down again in a hurry.

Sponsored Links
I scraped the paint off back to one stubborn layer and scratched through to the plaster. The new plaster won't be coming down again in a hurry.

I am just in the process of getting quotes for skimming my walls. My main concern is that as there are large areas of flaky emulsion even after scrapping the lose off that the other areas that are sill emulsioned will eventually fail and cause blowing.

Am I being overly concerned?

The two plasterers that I have had in giving quotes have both said they would unibond first and that should make it a good solid surface to work from.

I've wondered whether or not the walls should be scored?

Cheers

Simon

I can only tell how it worked out for us.

We stripped back most of the walls because the plaster had blown there were only a few internal walls made of clinker-block where the plaster was firmly in place. We used a steamer on those walls to remove every trace of loose material.

We did the same on six of the 8 ceilings (steamed and scraped) we had re-skimmed. The two we didn't strip back, bathroom and entrance hall came down because while the paint appeared to be okay and despite my better judgment I listen to the plasterers.

If I was ever doubtful again I would score the existing and use a bonding agent. Seeing your hard work and money on the floor when it should be on the walls or ceiling :evil:

Thanks for the reply.

For scoring what did you use? Also how far apart were your score lines? I have thought about a light brushing with a wire brush... any thoughts?

Like you says you don't want to see you well earned money on the floor and the potential for a lot more hard work!

Thanks again

Simon

I tried a piece of timber with 6 masonry nails driven through with about 30mm levelled on the working side. That was real hard work with little reward :rolleyes:

Easiest and quickest was a Stanley knife with lines scored about 75mm apart both horizontally and vertically. I just kept the blade sharpened on an old brick.

I don't think the wire brush will be good enough.

A scutching hammer would do a much better job.

Thanks again for the replies.

Joe 90, do you mean removing the plaster or just use the scutching hammer to provide grooving?

Ta

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back