Removing part of a wall next to a steel

muv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20230323_195619.jpg

Can anyone help with this?

This is in my garage with a bedroom above to the left of the steels.

To the right of the steels, with the loft insulation, is a flat felt roof that is being removed that extends a further 4m

We are having a replacement solid conservatory roof that will extend over the garage replacing the felt roof too but the new roof pitch requires the 5 courses removing.

The right steel supports the external wall upstairs but I need to remove the brickwork shaded red only does this leave a sufficient amount of brickwork for the steel to remain sitting on?

Any input would be greatly recieved.

Sponsored Links
Is the steel sitting on that wall? Don't see a padstone.
Yes, straight onto the wall...1970's house with the block work being those black clinkers on the steel. Would it not need a padstone as they are lightweight? No idea...I'm a sparky not a builder and this was uncovered yesterday when an asbestos ceiling was removed and now giving me grief with the new roof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming the steels are only spanning a garage width (2.5m?) they won't be heavily-loaded and cutting away the 5 layers won't be an issue.

• Thanks
Reactions: muv
Is that cavity wall construction, I.e. the wall facing us and bearing the steels?

Is that cavity wall construction, I.e. the wall facing us and bearing the steels?
Yes that's a cavity wall, squeezed my hand in there and the steel finishes flush with the brickwork on show and not protruding into the cavity

And another angle from outside, the wall with the red cross is the one above the steels. I need to remove the 5 courses all around the flat roof.
Screenshot_20221021-185339_YouTube.jpg

I'd be ok with that
Cheers, just had a thought that the roof people will sign it off with building regs so may send them some images to actually see if he will with those courses removed so near the steel.

Thanks for the input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back