Removing ground floor wall - Lintel vs Remove Wall Upstairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will be removing a number of walls downstairs in our current property.

One of these solid brick walls does not support any floors upstairs, but has a solid brick wall directly above, upstairs.

I was wondering about the difference in materials cost between removing the wall downstairs and fitting a steel lintel (bearing in mind that this particular lintel may likely also need a steel pillar/column for support at one end, or even both ends) and removing both the wall downstairs and the wall upstairs, and building a replacement stud wall upstairs eliminating the need for a steel lintel.

The wall in question is quite long (over 3m).

Forget about labour costs as we will be doing the work ourselves. At a quick glance a steel lintel of suitable strength may be around ~£200 mark? But this is before any steel pillars that may be needed. From a quick bit of research it could very well be cheaper than this to build a new stud wall of equivilent length upstairs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Questions of cost aside, are you sure the upstairs wall does not support anything in the roof (eg a purlin)?
Also, is this wall serving any stiffening function for an outer wall? Just because a wall may not support any load directtly above, it does not necessarily mean it is not structural; lateral stability of the house as a whole is also an important consideration.

I haven't double cgecked yet but I'm fairly certain the two-storey wall provides no support for the roof.

The wall doesn't adjoin the exterior or party wall of this end terrace. It currently runs between the hall/landing and the dining area/middle bedroom.

I am having a structural engineer around soon to calculate for other necessary lintels soon, and so I can discuss with him. Although I was hoping I may have been able to determine if this was A more economical option in advance.

Sponsored Links
As above!!
I thought this of a wall in my house, went up the loft and the joists are overlapping thus removing said wall would result in the ceilings upstairs coming down, for starters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back