removing plug tripped breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, as above I had just unplugged a heater there was a loud pop and flash and then all the sockets tripped, the pop and flash was similar to a short circuit but not quite as intense, how could this have happened I just simply removed the plug from the socket which resulted in the above, what caused this? is it some kind of arc flash? or could the heater be faulty? its a 3kw type, the plug prongs were also very hot to the touch in fact so hot i couldn't hold it.
What could have caused this? this has never happened to me before.
thanks

Sponsored Links
the plug prongs were also very hot to the touch in fact so hot i couldn't hold it.

Which suggest the internals of the socket were also over heated, this could have melted insulation on the wires connected to the socket leaving copper exposed. The disturbance of pulling out the plug cause a now bare Live wire to touch the Earthed back box.

EDIT or maybe the internals of the plug had melted insulation.

With the power off, unscrew the front of the socket and inspect the back, the wiring etc.
it should be evident if there is a loose wire in there, probably black marks if it touched earthed metal.

If you cannot do this then get someone that can, i.e. an electrician.

sorry I should have been more specific, the heater was plugged into an extension lead, on removing the plug was a bang and flash, the extension lead was blackened and smelt like burning plastic, Could it have been some kind of flashover due to sudden interruption of a high load or has it likely the lead has internally shorted out?

Sponsored Links
Something has. Take it apart and have a look
Then throw away all the thermally damaged parts and replace them. If the plug pins were hot replace the plug too. If the wall socket was hot also replace that.

3KW is a heavy load, very few modern extension leads are suitable for safely carrying 3KW. For some reason most are now only rated for 10 amps, and even then that is pushing it. If you can't plug the heater directly into a socket, having an electrician wire in a new one where the heater is located is recommended. If really do need to use an extension lead, it should be as short as possible and connected only to the heater. It should be constructed using a quality plug and 1 gang trailing socket such as those made by MK, the flex should be 1.5mm².

My Grandmother uses a 3KW heater extensively in her living room, I wired a radial circuit with 15A socket to eliminate problems with fuses getting hot and so on, after the fuse clips in the factory fitted plug became loose and overheated. Everything now runs cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back