Circuit breaker tripping intermittently.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This started about an hour ago.

The CU trip switch controlling the lounge and dining room rings tripped with a loud bang. I heard it from two rooms away!

I attempted to reset it but there was an immediate visible flash from behind the breaker and it tripped out.

I turned off all power at the main switch, then reset the trip then turned the mains power back on, everything was fine. Five minutes later, bang - the trip cut out again. I unplugged everything from the rings and reset. I then plugged everything back in one by one with a time interval in between but everything remained fine. Five minutes after I plugged everything back in - bang again!

I repeated the procedure. It's now been 15 minutes, everything is plugged back in and all is OK. I'm waiting with bated breath now.

Can anyone offer any potential explanation for this sudden strange behaviour?

Pete

Sponsored Links
Is the breaker that's tripping an MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker), or an RCD/RCCB (Residual Current Device / Circuit Breaker). The easiest way to tell if it's not labelled specifically is an RCD/RCCB should have a test button on it...

Is the breaker that's tripping an MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker), or an RCD/RCCB (Residual Current Device / Circuit Breaker). The easiest way to tell if it's not labelled specifically is an RCD/RCCB should have a test button on it...

It's an MCB

Sponsored Links
Well, short and sweet but I found the problem.

The ferocity of the trip implied to me that it must be a major short so I wandered around sniffing the sockets! Sure enough one smelt 'ozoney / burnt rubbery'. I took the faceplate off and found that the insulation on one live wire was broken and it was 'leaking' to earth. Why it didn't blow immediately every time, and why this happened on a socket that's been in situ untouched for about five years I don't know.

Anyway, I'm confident that's that and sorry to clutter up the board with what turned out to be a mundane and obvious problem.

Pete

Id hazard a guess that as the cable expands and contracts as a result of the heat that builds up as a result of loadng on the circuit it is moving close enough to create an arc between the live wire and the earthed back box, which causes a massive leak to earth resulting in your MCB tripping intermittantly.

The reason this has just occoured is probably because the cable has been rubbing up against the back box under load for some time, and has only recently work through enough to cause a short.

I bet if you'd left all of your appliances unplugged it wouldn't have happened.

Id hazard a guess that as the cable expands and contracts as a result of the heat that builds up as a result of loadng on the circuit it is moving close enough to create an arc between the live wire and the earthed back box, which causes a massive leak to earth resulting in your MCB tripping intermittantly.

The reason this has just occoured is probably because the cable has been rubbing up against the back box under load for some time, and has only recently work through enough to cause a short.

I bet if you'd left all of your appliances unplugged it wouldn't have happened.

I think you're probably correct.

Certainly had me guessing for an hour or so. All is well now though :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back