removing pop-ups

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed google toolbar with pop-up blocking and it's working a treat (85 blocked in just two weeks!). My problem is how do I get rid of two pop-ups that arrived before I installed the google thing, and appear every time I connect to the web?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Most probably adware - have you got AdAware or something similar ?
Running something like this (which can be downloaded free) will hopefully cure it for you. :)

Definitely adware. :(
I find that a combination of SpyBot (Search & Destroy) and Ad-Aware does the trick although if you've already got a problem they won't necessarily be able to remove it for you.
At the very least they'll tell you exactly what you're dealing with & you can work from there.

You could also try microsoft's new offering, though still in beta, it seems to be working well on PCs I have installed it on. Easier to use too, updates automatically in the background. No doubt eventually this will become subscription based, but try it while its free.

Microsoft AntiSpyware

Sponsored Links
In internet explorer go to Tools/Internet Options then, under Temporary internet files choose Settings and View objects. There are some legitimate objects that might be here, eg Shockwave flash player (from Macromedia) or Update class (Microsoft). Check the properties of anything suspicious and if it looks bad it probably is. Delete it.

Back