Removing Radiator Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiator is not easily accessible. Subsequently, I would to move it next to my window.

However my partner believes that this is a bad move as heat from the radiator will escape outside through the exterior walls and draft will creep in through the windows.

Essentially, she believes that more energy will be wasted moving the radiator to the wall

Is she correct? Do many people put radiators by the window?

Sponsored Links
When I was a sprog my father told me the radiator under a window causes an updraft of warm air, deflecting drafts and cold air from the window and warming it up, so under the window was the "right" place for it (this was before double glazing BTW).

Cheers,

Howard

What kind of windows are they?
Do you have cavity wall insulation?
Perfectly normal to have it under the window but not always necessary depending on room layout ,decor,curtains etc.

Sponsored Links
If you are interested in room comfort then place radiator to warm up the natural cold spot - which is the window area.
If you are interested in conserving energy then do away with radiator altogether and buy a onesy.
Life is a compromise :mrgreen:

I seem to recall a huge long thread on this subject. Try searching the forum.

Basically, your aim is to have a comfortable temperature across the whole room. If the temperature is uneven, you'll tend to turn up the heating until the coldest point is hot enough. An even temperature is most easily achieved by putting the radiator on an outside wall, since that will otherwise tend to be colder than the inside walls.

The increased heat loss through the outside wall due to having a radiator next to it will be fairly small. If it's not small, the solution is better insulation!

What you mistn't do, though, is fit the radiator behind the curtains! Or so that the convected hot air goes straight up behind the curtains.

What you mistn't do, though, is fit the radiator behind the curtains! Or so that the convected hot air goes straight up behind the curtains.

Most folk have curtains in front of windows, as I have, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with heat entrapment - but I've only been using them satisfactorily for 30 years so maybe that's something i need to look at.

Thanks for the responses guys...

The radiator will be moved under the window :D

One of the reasons rads tend to be fitted under windows is that it helps avoid condensation. Warm air holds more water than cool, and if the rad is fitted on an internal wall, the warm air will pick up moisture from breathing, damp, cooking etc. As soon as this warm moist air hits the external wall and window, it will dump its load of water all over the window and at the base of the external wall, unless your house is supremely dry.

I found out the hard way that rads should be placed under the window. Fortunately only one room was involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back