Removing Rads with Thermostatic Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need to remove a few radiators to get behind them for decorating.

I've read that you need to be a bit careful where thermostatic valves are concerned - most of mine have the * (frost) setting, but not an off position. Is this a problem? I'm keen to not have to drain down the system.

If this is a problem, I do have some rads in the house with thermostatic valves that do have an off position - can I just temporarily switch the valves to the rads that I want to remove?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Remove the head G clamp the valve pin remove the rad then you can use a female compression end stop. Then just reverse the process when putting it back on.

Thanks for the reply Armo. Assuming I don't have a G-Clamp - could I use one of my other rad's thermo valves (one that does have an off position) to do the same thing?

Thanks again.

No heads are not usually transferable just because it fits doesnt mean it will do the same job

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks, I see - I will buy a clamp tomorrow in that case - thank you.

I see the logic, but can't see where the other end of the clamp will sit? :confused:

Ditto

You could try puttin a 5p piece inside the head so it presses the pin down that little bit more ensuring it stays off

Mind you keep an eye on it - it has been known :oops: :oops: for leakage to occur overnight when the ambient heat of the room has caused the valve to open just a tad. Enough, in fact.....

That would be a disaster - just had all ceilings downstairs skimmed!

If I stick on a compression end cap, I should be OK though right? I've never fitted one before - is there a standard size for a rad pipe?

I always used to take radiators off the walls to redecorate for customers, it always ended up with more problems than anticipated, dripping black water on carpets, joints that always leak afterwards, TRV`s were always a major problem. And Rad caps are almost non exsistent
these days with long handled small rollers one can easily paint behind a radiator, wallpapering can be fed behind a radiator, and can be rolled using a paint roller.
Who looks down behind a radiator anyway ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back