radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a radiator for decorating.
I have closed off the valve at one end but the other valve is a thermostat valve.

Is this in the off position when set at zero or do I have to do anything to this valve to make sure there is no water flowing through it.

Sponsored Links
There's no guarantee that zero means off. It depends on the valve. Mine came with screw-on caps resembling bottle tops for this purpose. You unscrew the valve head from the body to reveal a small pin. This is what the valve pushes down to regulate the water flow. The bottle top simply pushes it down hard so that the valve really is off. You'll have to examine yours closely to see what you've got.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Felix

I seem to remember a set of caps being given to me when the valves were fitted - many years ago.

Now just a case of finding them !!

Waymaster

I have taken the top off the valve and located the pin, but I cannot find the valve caps - and the radiator is difficult to move on the brackets. I think my only option is to drain the system right down. I was hoping as an alternative to loosen the unions and swing the radiator down.

Any other ideas of what to use as a valve cap :(

waymaster said:
I have taken the top off the valve and located the pin, but I cannot find the valve caps - and the radiator is difficult to move on the brackets. I think my only option is to drain the system right down. I was hoping as an alternative to loosen the unions and swing the radiator down.

Any other ideas of what to use as a valve cap :(

Use a 1 cent piece (if you've got any euros, or a ½p if you have any knocking about) and balance on top of the pin before putting the valve top back on, and setting it to zero/frost. This will ensure the valve really IS off - it works for me - just check you'll be able to get it out of the valve casing afterwards!

doitall said:
WabbitPoo said:
kevplumb said:
felix it's called a decoraters cap ;)

Actually, it's called a decorator's cap.

Not another smart alec :LOL:

Probably just taking the view if something's worth doing...............literary equivalent of Armaflex tape for pipe support.

You should buy a roll of Self-adhesive tape for use with Class 0 Armaflex.

brilliant for notches :LOL: slice it up into stips, peal the backing paper off and hey presto.

Imgp1005.jpg

Not sure if I've come across stips before, but I would peel the backing off, saves the ringing in the ears. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back