Removing render from external DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The render at the bottom of my house is pretty rough looking. Would it be okay to hack all the render there (black section) and just have it bare brick? We are in a 1880s house.

Attachments

• PXL_20220826_184450585.jpg
    PXL_20220826_184450585.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Had similar at my old house, I took the render off, as it doesn't want to be down to ground level anyway, as it can aid damp problems.

The condition of the brick might not look very good once the render is removed, (might be why they covered it) and you may need to repoint, as more than likely soil will have replaced some of the lime mortar.

Good luck

Had similar at my old house, I took the render off, as it doesn't want to be down to ground level anyway, as it can aid damp problems.

The condition of the brick might not look very good once the render is removed, (might be why they covered it) and you may need to repoint, as more than likely soil will have replaced some of the lime mortar.

Good luck

Had a bit more of an inspection and it seems like they also cement rendered sections of it below the DPC... When you hacked off your old render, did you have to seal the bricks at all after?

Oh, bugger... I didn't seal anything, there should be no need.

I'd remove a section for a test, see what your brick condition is like.

Sponsored Links
Oh, bugger... I didn't seal anything, there should be no need.

I'd remove a section for a test, see what your brick condition is like.

I went ahead and hacked a lot of it off... When I say hack, half of it just pulled off. I did reveal a few gaping holes though. Could I just fill with some lime mortar or is it worth getting a new brick below first? I think some of the slate dpc is broken too.

Our airbrick sticks out now as well. Guess I need to get than slotted deeper in!

Attachments

• PXL_20220829_100011260.jpg
    PXL_20220829_100011260.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220829_101831267~2.jpg
    PXL_20220829_101831267~2.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back