Removing/Replacing dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I have just started learning some basic wiring skills and was getting on fine until it came to replacing an old dimmer switch in the dining room.

On removing the switch I have 2 red, 2 black and 2 green (just green, not green/yellow) wires. I have two flexes coming from the ceiling. One with a red, black and green/yellow wire and another one just with a black wire. The new light I have to attach is double insulated so only has a blue and brown wire to connect via a plastic connector. I brought a one way switch to replace the dimer which is where I think I have gone wrong as the light works until I switch it off when it blows the fuse. I have attached the two red wires to common, the two black wires to the bottom and put the green wires in to a connector (as was before).

I have obviously done something completely stupid so help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back