Replacing a single switch with a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help !!, i have paged thru various sites and cannot seem to find the answer I need so I hope someone can help me.
I want to replace a normal switch in my lounge with a dimmer switch.
The wires coming out of the wall and into the normal switch are - Red , Black (with green sheath), Black (with grey sheath), Earth (green/Yellow) connected to backing plate in the wall.
The above are wired into the normal switch as follows: Red goes into 2-way, Black/Green goes into 1-way, Black/Grey goes into Com.
My Dimmer switch has connectors marked - Variable load, L1, L2, and Fixed load.
Can someone advise which wires go where ??

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes it is.
Thee are 2 switches in the room, the other is a double switch which has a dining room switch on as well. I am not touching this one, only the single one.

Sponsored Links
If you look at the Wiki article on 2-way switching, and see how it works, or rather see the different ways in which it can work, you'll realise that you need to look at the other switch to see what cables are there, and therefore work out which conductor is which at this switch.

Also, before you get too far into this, will you be happy with the way that it will work? If the lights are off and you turn them on at the switch then they will come on at whatever level the dimmer is set to - if that's not right then you'll have to go to the dimmer position to change it. Might you be better off putting in a proper 2-way dimmer setup?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back