Removing & replacing Plinth around base of property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need some urgent advice if possible please!

18 months ago I had my old plinth removed and replaced as it was crumbling away in many parts. The main wall at the time projected further out than the plinth which I believe was the correct way to do it. The new plinth was put on but this time brought out to be flush with the wall, which I was disappointed with and a little concerned.

However after approx nine months it became obvious that the mix used for the plinth must have been wrong as the rendering started crumbling and falling off with just the merest contact with it. I contacted the original contractor who after agreeing to replace it some time ago has finally started today. After starting to remove the plinth he is now saying that the brickwork is in pretty poor condition in many places and would need remedying before being able to put on a"Scratch Coat" and re-render the plinth. (I don't understand why this would be the case now when it was never mentioned when he removed and replaced the original plinth 18 months previous). What really worries me though is that he now intends to use a powerful Jet Washer to clean off the brick work (ie from just above the DPC to ground level before carrying on with the new plinth.

SURELY that cannot be right to use a High pressure washer around and below the DPC? If anything I would have thought using an air hose might at least be more appropriate, if not a simple dry hand brush.

Please help if you can before possible serious damage may be caused!!

Sponsored Links
You should urgently post pics. Close ups, and whole wall section views.

Could be that no plinth is required. Why a plinth in the first place? How old is the property?

I think i can visualise your recessed plinth below oversailing brickwork, but pics are needed.

Whatever, no rendering should degrade in a short time, and how a pressure jet will help things is a bit of a mystery.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for your response, my apologies for not replying sooner!

The property is a 1930's Bungalow which is pebbledashed down to the plinth, which I believe has been there for a great many years if not since the original build. I wanted to retain the plinth even if as you say it may not even be required at all as I think that a DECENT black plinth under a pale coloured pebbledashed wall looks quite attractive.

However I have now dispensed with the builder concerned and I am now having the plinth replaced properly by a tradesman who comes highly recommended.

Nevertheless thank you again for your kind response and advice.

Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back