Removing Rubber Seals(Gaskets) in UPVC Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am trying Remove the Rubber Seals(Gaskets) on my 10 year old UPVC Windows ,the rubber seals on are the outside and having a nightmare trying to pull them out they are so tight,this is so I can remove the windows beading in order to replace a double glazing unit.

Any advise on how to remove them would be great, using pliers did not work just damaged the seals.

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Unless I misunderstand you, the glazing beads are removed first, followed by the double glazed unit. The rubber seals should be left alone, ready for the replacement glass unit.
John :)

Hi All

I am trying Remove the Rubber Seals(Gaskets) on my 10 year old UPVC Windows ,the rubber seals on are the outside and having a nightmare trying to pull them out they are so tight,this is so I can remove the windows beading in order to replace a double glazing unit.

Any advise on how to remove them would be great, using pliers did not work just damaged the seals.

Kind Regards

It sounds like you have gasket known in the trade as 'firtree'....

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/images/knockin-bead02.jpg

This isn't exactly firtree but it gives you an idea how its clipped in all the same, to be classed as firtree it should look the same as the rubber on the bead, effectively looking like half a firtree ;)

Virtually impossible to remove without damage, your internal beads will be effectively spring loaded and this is all thats keeping them in, a sharp ish putty knife/scraper in the joint will flick them out, start in the middle though as you'll have more bend in the bead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back