Removing screws with ruined screw heads or no head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20201114_152608.jpg
20201114_151913.jpg
Couldn't get grips on these rusted screwheads, so I used these universal things (in picture). Just sitting there drilling in for ages then put drill in reverse for a bit. They came out eventually but might just have been the vibrations. Tried different sizes too How do people remove screws when head's totally gone?

Sponsored Links
BTW, you used the extactors incorrectly. Not that they're much cop used correctly.

Sponsored Links
I see.....its the inside of a wet vac.
I think I would have ground off those screws and fitted new nuts and bolts, but no matter it’s done now.
John :)

I've got screws out with worse heads than them simply by using the correct screwdriver.
For future reference, @Keit, you are supposed to use a twist drill to drill a hole into the head of the screw/bolt that you want to remove before using the extractors anti-clockwise.

When you say twist drill bit, do u mean what's in the image? I thought these were called metal bits!
Screenshot_20201118-123348_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I see.....its the inside of a wet vac.
I think I would have ground off those screws and fitted new nuts and bolts, but no matter it’s done now.
John :)
Maybe used metal blade on reciprocating saw or angle grinder

I've got screws out with worse heads than them simply by using the correct screwdriver.
For future reference, @Keit, you are supposed to use a twist drill to drill a hole into the head of the screw/bolt that you want to remove before using the extractors anti-clockwise.

They look similar to the ones I've got, you use the other end of the bit (not the spiralled end) to cut a suitable hole for the spiralled end, you do this with the drill in reverse, slow speed medium pressure.

When you say twist drill bit, do u mean what's in the image? I thought these were called metal bits!View attachment 211909

Yes, they are called twist drills or HSS Twist Drills, but not those cheap things. £6.99 for 13 different sized drills is far to cheap to be decent quality. They may get you through timber a number of times but once you start using them on any type of steel, even mild steel, they will soon burn out and become blunt. You should by a decent set from a well known brand such as Bosch which are a better quality and will last longer.

They look similar to the ones I've got, you use the other end of the bit (not the spiralled end) to cut a suitable hole for the spiralled end, you do this with the drill in reverse, slow speed medium pressure.

Those ones in the picture appear to have a square shank to fit in a tap wrench.

Drill put hole so the extractor fits tightly then put in reverse I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back