removing screws with worn head!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm replacing window frame latches and as usual have come across a few stuborn screws!
The heads are rusted and worn so a srew driver is no good.
I have forced a couple out with a nail bar but its doing a bit of damage and I have split a part of the frame doing so :oops:
Any tips on how to get them out :?:
By the way the wood is mahogany and the screws are 1" and quarter long!

Sponsored Links
I take it the screws have slotted heads.

Sometimes a hammer blow on the end of the screwdriver helps to break the grip of the rusted thread. A screwdriver with a striking cap is best for this. I prefer to use the old Perfect pattern drivers, which are ideal for a task like this. Make sure the tip fits as well as possible in what remains of the slot. Old slotted screws had narrower slots than those used more recently.

An impact driver can be useful, too, if you have one. Or you could try starting the screw turning with a punch and hammer.

Some people heat the screw head in order to loosen it; you may find this works.

If the head is truly mangled, you might consider cutting the catches through with a hacksaw, then removing the remains of the screw with a Mole wrench. Or, consider drilling out the heads: centre punch as near to the centre as you can manage, then drill until the fitting can be removed.

philips head screws with a now round hole on top.
funny enough the threads aren't rusted, I reckon maybe no pilot hole was drilled originally and no doubt a cordless driver used?plus its a hard wood.

I think I might try to drill them out, on second thoughts might cut the fasteners and maybe get a grip of the head of the screw.

Thanks

At the risk of teaching grandmothers how to suck eggs, are the screws Philips or Pozidrive?

It's important to use the right type and size of driver for each type of screw, especially if any significant torque is being applied.

If I can make another suggestion, it might be possible to saw a slot in the damaged screw heads, and use a flat blade to remove them.

Sponsored Links
as the screws go into old wood (are they steel, rusted in?) I would apply heat to the screw-head. A large soldering iron, or a very fine flame from a blowlamp will do it. It dries and chars the wood so it shrinks away and the screw loosens. Protect glass and surrounding wood from the flame. Use no-more-nails or a dowel in the hole before you fit new screws. Brass ones will not rust.

or you could use a screw digger. Yes I know, but they can sometimes work, not as good as advertised, but they do work.

Screw diggers, in my own experience, work very well (I have the ones Trend supply). However, I've only had cause to use them in cases where I've driven the screw part way in myself, and managed to damage the head. I've no experience of using them to remove old screws.

i bought the grabit screw extractor (from screwfix) and they are excellent - have helped me with a couple of worn out screws. mine were around 17 quid but you can get ones for about 3 quid that need a bit more work to get them going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back