Removing shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I need to replace a corner shower enclosure which is old and tired. I have removed all screws, doors and panels. What's left is two U-shaped brackets on the walls, each 6ft high, stuck to the walls with nothing but silicone sealant.

They will not budge.

I cannot get a blade in, not even a tiny bit. I tried levering them up but it cracked the tiles - and I really cannot afford for that to happen any more as I do not have any spares, and do not want to re-tile the entire room (big room, tiled floor to ceiling, all 4 walls). I need some other way to remove them.

Silicone sealant remover will be no good - it is gel and there is no way in the world it will go down the back of these brackets.

What will soften silicone please? Heat from a blow-torch? Some sort of solvent (e.g. petrol) which is watery enough to run down the back?

Or are there other methods I haven't thought of?

Many thanks!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
Cheese wire? There must be a small gap behind, which is occupied by the sealent, so you should be able to cut this?

WD40 is good for loosening left over silicone, so maybe a good dose will help?

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark

Dont know how you got on or if its still a problem.

I had a similar situation, the previous owner had used aircraft grade resin, wouldn't cut with knife or hack saw, wouldn't pull off, it took ages to cut a bit, try and level the channell off the wall a bit to get down a bit more, slow slow job, got there in the end though with a combination of hack saw and knife

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back