Clean/whiten silicone sealant in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The silicone sealant between our tiled walls in the shower is looking incredibly grubby with loads of brown/black speckles on it from water/soap scum.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/img1171gb.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/img1172s.jpg/

I successfully managed to clean the tiles and grout using a soap-scum remover, but this isn't removing the brown/black speckles on the silicone.

What else can we use?

Was thinking possibly bleaching it, but:-

(a) Would this damage the colour of the tiles; and
(b) Would this actually damage the silicone seal itself?

Sponsored Links
“Cillit Bang” works quite well on grout (test the tiles) but that looks engrained into the silicone &, really, the only way to be rid of it is to cut away the old silicone bead & re-seal; not really a big deal. That’s a pretty big silicone bead though! :confused:

bee-jeez....did the tiler use his/her bid toe when applying the silicone...

get a hooked stanley blade,remove the exsisting then apply an antifunga silicone....if your not sure about application,look into a fungi boy set, or a ice lolly stick...

just cut the nozzle very slighty(1-2mm) at an angle, apply then leave for 1min then use use index finger and run this down the silicone..or one off the above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, have used cillitbang which brought up the tiles and the grout a treat. :)

Doesn't work on the silicone though so I reckon I'll give it a go removing and resealing.

However, before I do that, if I were to use bleach on the silicone bead will this degrade/break the seal of the silicone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back