cleaning with methylated spirits prior silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have finished tiling the bathroom and am about to do all the siliconing. i read its best to clean the surfaces that are to be siliconed with meths before silioning. i had a few questions regarding this

1. do i need to clean the meths off with a clean rag once applied?

2. will meths affect the tile or grout?

3 could it discolour the grout as its a purple liquid?

4 would it couse ay damage to the skirting boards which are painted in satin white? celing which is painted in dulux bathroom paint white? door frame again satin white? vinyl flooring which is a white shade? or shower tray again white not sure what material plastics of some sort i think?

sorry if the questions are deep i just want to ensure i seal it correctly first time round with out any other problems

Sponsored Links
Meths is a good degreaser, it will evaporate away so no need to dry off.
It will not damage any of the surfaces. (I personaly use white spirit)

thanks i feel conident using it now. white spirits, does that not damage ?

White spirit leave a residue and will prevent good adhesion unless cleaned thoroughly, if it's a new bath then a good conventional clean will be all thats needed.Don't forget the tape for a nice clean edge, when removing peel off at obtuse angle to prevent lifting edge of silicon.

Sponsored Links
White spirit leave a residue and will prevent good adhesion unless cleaned thoroughly, if it's a new bath then a good conventional clean will be all thats needed.Don't forget the tape for a nice clean edge, when removing peel off at obtuse angle to prevent lifting edge of silicon.

After you have used the tape, then a wet finger over the top & remove tape BEFORE silicone sets

I thought I had read - no personal knowlege - that the wet finger is guaranteed to add bacteria and therefore mould . Is this in/correct ?

indeed.. ive heard that using saliva is a no no these days.. not sure why.

heard people using w/up liq on finger to smooth off...

also baby wipes are great at cleaning off silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back