Restoring grey/brown routing which has turned orange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping my Dad out by replacing the mouldy sealant in his bathroom and I also want to fix the discoloured grouting between the tiles. It's not white grouting, it's a grey/brown shade which matches the tiles, as shown in the first photo. The second photo shows one of the areas where it's turned rather orange.

What's the best way to remove the disclouration to get it back to the correct shade and is there anything I can do to prevent it discolouring again? The tiles are roughly 3ft high and it's only really the grouting between and above the bottom row tiles that has turned this colour. Some of the grouting higher up looks a bit grubby so I might try to clean that up too but it's not orange so it isn't so noticeable.

Attachments

• Right colour grouting between tiles.jpg
    Right colour grouting between tiles.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Discoloured grouting between tiles.jpg
    Discoloured grouting between tiles.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Mix a weak bleach and water solution, spray leave for a bit, get a nail brush and have a bit of a scrub, should come off easy.

I believe it's bacteria from skin and soap scum, had to ask the question myself at the start of the year.:oops:

Thanks. Yeah, that would make sense as that's more likely to splash on the lower tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back