grouting mosaic tiles behind sink, above beech upstand

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you can help - I'm not very good at visualising how things will look so would like to draw on your experience.

I bought some glass-type mosaic tiles (2cm square) which are 'black' but actually more purple (reflecting lots of colours like petrol in a puddle) and see through-ish. I am tiling behind the sink onto an off-white wall. (It was plastered 4 years ago, am removing the paint to get back to the plaster where the tiles will go.)

Although it's behind the sink it doesn't get much water on it - the occasional drop or two. The beech worktop has an upstand so the tiles will be based on that.

My questions are:

1. Will grey grout look better because it matches the tiles, and I just have to be very crisp with the edge where it meets the wall. Or would you use off-white grout that matches the paint but contrasts with the tiles?

I know it's personal opinion but I just can't imagine it either way.

I think my preference is for grey but am not confident it'll look ok at the top. I've looked at all sorts of tile edging (from nasty-looking plastic trim to professional stainlees steel) and ruled them all out. Also don't want to build the grout up to a 45 degree pseudo-trim, preferring the more 'honest' look of the mosaic (which looks fine edge on - unlike many ceramic tiles).

2. Can I get away with grout between the beach upstand and the bottom row of tiles? I cannot imagine anyone getting a nice looking silicone seal against the face of the mosaic tiles.

Thanks very much for reading this far. Fingers crossed you can advise!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back