Noob tiling questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
I have never tiled before but want to give it a go.
The Mrs wants an upstand style row of mosaic tiles about 12cm high across a span of about 2.5 metres (including behind a sink).
This is going onto a combination of bare plasterboard and plaster skimmed walls.
I have been to Wickes today as thats the only DIY store in close proximity and was bewildered by the array of grouts and adhesives and all in one grouts and adhesives and tile edging strips and the like!
So can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to buy to complete this DIY task succesfully and to keep the Mrs happy!
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
What tools do you have?

There are a few basic tools you will need for tiling.

My own preference is for BAL adhesive. The ready-mixed tub is fine for what you want. I also prefer the BAL grout powder which you will need to mix up.

I am not an expert but have done a substantial amount of tiling over the years so consider myself fairly experienced.

However, the experts on here will give you definitive answers.

B

What type of mosaic are you going to use? if its glass use a powdered adhesive, ready mix is no good. Use BAL Mosaic Fix from Topps Tiles, excellent adhesive. Mosaics aren't the easiest to put up. To make your life easier, go to Topps Tiles and get some mosaic 'Beava' sheets. These are excellent. 300x300mm square thin plastic sheet with a contact adhesive on it. Stick you mosaic sheet to this and it turns a wobbly sheet of mosaic into a much more rigid 'tile'. About £1.50 each. Also, use a notched trowel thinner than the tile is thick. Apply adhesive to wall, apply sheet to adhesive and beat on with something flat, I use a Marshaltown squeegee but you could use a flat piece of wood. Grout, ask your supplier, they will help with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back