1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellowed Grout - Tile Mosaic.

Discussion in 'Tiling' started by laminateman1010, 18 Jul 2019.

1. laminateman1010

laminateman1010

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The grout on the tiled mosaic area above my toilet cistern has become quite badly discoloured, and I'd like to try and sort it, if possible.

Can I paint over the discoloured grout areas with some sort of white paint? If so, what type of paint should I use?

Thanks in advance.

mosaic tiles.png

2. laminateman1010

laminateman1010

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I got this stuff. Could this be the solution, or will the grout be discoloured again within a few months?

grout reviver.png

3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It depends, why did the grout discolour so quickly in the first place?

Have you tried cleaning the grout with HG Blue? Please don't take offence- it helps to remove limescale and what HG refer to as "yellow stains" (read: urine).

Alternatively, bleach may work. When I used to smoke, the grouting in my bathroom was yellow- the bleach whitened it. Smelly but very cheap.

4. laminateman1010

laminateman1010

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure why this particular section has become so yellowed. It’s the that boxes the cistern in. I don’t smoke, and can honestly say I have not been urinating on it!

The unibond stuff looks like quite promising, though a lot of work on mosaic tiles. I will post photos when I’m finished. I’m using bleach on other areas, and it works quite well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok.

Personally, I have never used those grout whiteners, that said I have seen profession tillers discuss the following
    https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/Mapei-fuga-fresca-grout-coloured-reviver/MAP1306

The impression I get is that they do work but ensuring that residue isn't left behind on the tile ais hard work. I have no idea how less likely they are to yellow again, sorry.

For future prosperity, epoxy grouts are less likely to be affected by cooking fats, pee, fags,etc, but they are more expensive to buy and work with.

My glass mosaic hob splashback has dark grey epoxy grout- I didn't want cooking fats to penetrate the grout. Ensuring that the tiles were free of grout residue took 4 times longer than if I had worked with standard grout.