Repairing / replacing grout in mosaic floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just moved into a new place that needs a lot doing to it (so you might hear from me a lot!) and at the moment I need some advice about the bathroom floor.

Its currently tiled with irregular shaped and sized mosaic tiles which are really nice and I'd like to keep them if possible. The problem is that the grout is really badly done, it has set on to the surface of a lot of tiles, and is pitted and uneven between them. Its also rather badly discoloured and is breaking away at the edge of the tiles near the bathroom door. Is it possible to replace the grout and keep the tiles? If so, any tips on how to tackle the job would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks loads in advance

Edit: I should mention that the tiles range from about 1/2" diameter to 1 1/2", so pretty small and lots of 'em.

Sponsored Links
I think it would be a job from hell trying to rake out all that old grout,maybe you could remove the worst bits and clean up the rest then regrout what you removed.Might look a bit odd though with both new and old grout.
As for the stuff on the face of the tiles the only way you will shift it is with plenty of elbow grease,use a small scraper on the stubborn bits and a stiff scrubbing brush.
You can also try a bit of wexa but it costs about £20 a litre.

Its a shame when someone does a half decent job laying the tiles and then totally naff it up with the grouting,seen it on many jobs,people think they can remove it later but once dry its a real pain in the...........elbow ;)

yup, I think it will be painful! I think I'm going to try this on one section first to see how it looks and then decide whether to work on the rest of it, or just rip it out and start again.

As you say, a real shame, the tiles are lovely but the overall appearance is, err, not.

My elbows hurt already... :p

Sponsored Links
as the tiles are pebble-shaped, the grout gaps vary from a about 1/8 to 3/4 inch. If I can find my camera cable, I'll upload a pic.

ahhh i missed the pebble bit, definatly a hand tool job then buddy unfortunatly.

patience, peserverance and **** loads of beer to help pass the time.

;)

beer eh? well, I'd be daft not to take the advice of a pro ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back