Tiling Mosaics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tilers, me again!

I need to start tackling the mosaic tiling in my bathroom but this is the first time that I'd have tiled mosaics and I have a few questions.

The mosaic tile is a natural stone AND glass mosaic on a mesh netting. THIS.

Is there any particular adhesive that I should be using for mosaic tiles? or can I continue using what I've used on the rest of the walls (NicoBond Xtra in Grey).

I've read that I may need to be careful with the colour adhesive that I use though as this may affect the colour seen in the glass of the tile but the glass tiles on these have backs to them so I can't see it being an issue.

Also, I've been using a NicoBond grout and had hoped to just use this on the mosaics too but I've been warned that I need to be careful with grouting as some grouts can scratch the mosaics - what grout do I need to watch out for and how can this be avoided?

Finally, are there any other tips and tricks to look out for that I need to be doing to avoid any terrible mistakes (and the wrath of the wife).

Luis

Sponsored Links
Bit late for reply..but...

Adhesive you will want IMO bal mosaic fix adhesive...white in colour fast setting for stone mosaic tiles...this stops any bleed through...

Glass mosaic..do they have a backing on them or are they see through..if see through..you will comb the wall then using the smooth edge of your serator then smooth the adhesive and then fix the netting/tiles..so you don't see any ribs through the glass mosaic...

You will want to use a 3mm serator max,so you don't get the adhesive coming through the tiles...

Fixing mosaic always..always start at the top off the wall and work down the way...and use panel pins or spacers to hold in place..plus working down the way you will always notice any slippage in the mosaic...

When fixing mosaic to walls you will use a grout float to..pat the mosaic to walls this will help keep them flat and no lippage....
Then when all set you may need to take any Excess adhesive out between mosaic...

Most good mfr grout should be ok...mapei/bal/weber ect...

Fixing mosaic ain't for the faint hearted....it takes years off experience mate...but best off luck..
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back