Steam-cleaning dirty grout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might not be the best place to post but the alternatives are Tools and Materials or General DIY, neither of which is any better, so here goes:

The grouting in the tiles around our bath is decidedly grubby and the silicone around the bath edge has gone black in places. Nothing new there I suppose but Other Half is eyeing up a steam cleaner with a view to blasting the dirt off:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/sho...r_handheld_steam_cleaner.html?hnav=4294966403

I'm a bit concerned about the effect it might have, like stripping the grout and silicone right out! :eek: :eek: :eek: Or will it be totally ineffective and a waste of money? :mad: :mad: :mad: Has anybody steam-cleaned tiles before?

PS: Mods, if this counts as advertising, please delete the link.

Sponsored Links
S C you can use a steamer quite happily if you know the silicone and grout are sound. I have used one many times(swmbo)without problem.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to stay in there and watch.

My steam cleaner claims to remove all sorts of grot from grout, cookers etc....you name it. Its a Pollti or something.
In truth, its the biggest waste of money of all time - it will help remove stains from carpets (occasionally) but everything else no way.
John :)

I’d forget the steam cleaner, your likely to be disappointed. Cilit Bang & a toothbrush works well on lime scale & stained grout but if the silicone has gone black then very unlikely it’ll come off. Removing & re-applying the silicone bead is probably the only way you’ll get rid of it.

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. :D :D :D Since i told her that a toothbrush was the best way to clean grout, it's become apparent that she just saw a steam cleaner and fancied having one. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Maybe I'll find some uses for it, like cleaning the oven or stripping wallpaper. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Meanwhile, I spend enough time in the bath so I'll get busy with the toothbrush. :cool: :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back