Removing shower tiles without breaking them...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a real laugh here… house I’m doing up has a fully tiled en-suite (ie floor to ceiling) dating from the 90’s. Unfortunately, there are two problems:

1. The shower tray is cracked, and water is leaking through. Fortunately, I have another bathroom, also with a shower, so I don’t actually NEED it but I’d like to sort it out. Trouble is, though I’ve never done it before, I do know that shower trays extend up some way behind the tiling… is it possible to remove tiles with breaking them?

I’m assuming shower trays can’t be repaired… it’s either plastic or fibreglass, can’t tell really :confused:

Thing is, if I do break the tiles, there’s no way they’re still going to be available, so whatever I replace them with won’t match the rest of the en-suite (they’re not plain of course), and there’s no way I’m going to re-tile the entire room…

2. The grout is falling out from between the rest of the tiles in the shower… I suppose I just dig it out and replace… are there any special techniques for doing this, or is it just old screwdrivers, elbow grease, and a lot of luck?

Thanks guys :D

Sponsored Links
NO to old screwdrivers:eek: you can get a grout rake. Wait for a tiler to say about 1.;)

Sponsored Links
I've read.plenty of people with caravan shower trays that have had them repaired in situ, maybe worth looking into before you start trying to remove the tiles?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back