Removing skirting board applied with excessive amounts of glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - trying to remove some skirting boards ( 12cm high) which have been applied with ridiculous amounts of bonding product.

Managed to remove one and basically after cutting through first few cm with multi tool, realised the whole board is dabbed into some grip product. In the end got it loose but it came off with sections of the plasterboard fully attached. Doesn't matter too much as this will be behind a built in wardrobe but now dreading removing other parts to relay a few damaged floor boards before guys come to fit the wardrobes.

Does anyone know of a 12 cm deep multi tool blade? or any other good suggestions to remove without tearing out plasterboard in chunks.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK there isn't one. About the longest blades out there are the ones used with the Festol Vecturo/ Fein Multimaster which are circa 75mm long, with a few firms doing snide versions of those which run on standard multitools. The longest tool I am aware of is a 100mm long wavy blade insulation cutter for multitools that Toolstation sell, the SMART Trade Insulation Blade (part no. 63092) which isn't t really designed to cut hard materials. I think the limiting factor to blade length must be what the gearbox can handle.

The only other thing I could suggest is that old joiner's standby - an old hand saw (or a cheap new one)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this stuff soften when it warms up? Even if that's true, not sure exactly how you could use it your advantage. Hot knife down the back of the skirt?

No. The setting is a chemical reaction and is irreversible

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the tips - looks like I got lucky. The other skirting boards where just attached with silicone based glue so using long multitool and then a simply long bendy handsaw I got easily through. Looks like I just got unlucky and they used a different kind of bonding product on the longer wall. Multitool went a bit nuts on the glue, guess it didn't like the bounce back ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back