Removing stain from exterior wall caused by central heating discharge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anybody advise on the best method of removing a stain caused by the discharge of my central heating system pipe down an exterior shingle wall ? It looks unsightly like rust !

Thanks in advance.

DS

Sponsored Links
Best to ensure that immediately it discharges the problem is fixed. Then it can be quickly washed off.

My suggestion is to brush warm citric acid solution on the stains. But with correct precautions for handling acids!

Tony

I don't expect that will have much effect.

Iron oxides are very good at staining.

Oxalic acid is expensive but good at dissolving iron oxides but cost too much for large scale application.

Sponsored Links
Blast from the pressure washer may well be the way to go first. Costs you nothing with that approach

Thanks chaps.

It has had some effect i'll just keep at it with the PW.

DS

Oxalic is great for removing rust stains and isn't expensive if you buy the crystals and make up your own solution. 2.5kg for less than £15 from fleabay. Mix some up with warm water to dissolve crystals and brush on - leave for a few hours and then wash off
Download the MSDS sheet, read it and exercise suitable care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back