Removing "Stained Glass" decals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have an interior door which has a rather 90's stained glass effect on 4 of the planels. As far as I can see it has been applied with some kind of adhesive lead and coloured perspex/plastic to make the 'stained glass' effect.

We are trying to figure out how to remove it without scratching and ruining the glass...any ideas? Razor blade maybe?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The stick-on lead type is easy to do but check the colour glass first, sometimes the glass is painted/spray on which normally heated on by kiln heater but I'm 99% this won't be the case but you will know by using a pin in a corner and see if you can lift it, normally these days it's most likely will be glass transfers stickers because it's cheaper to do. You can move the lead with a blade and just pull it off slowly you will then see how the colour glass is done, use a blade to lift the transfer and a hairdryer will help to soften it, I used the spray label adhesive remover for the left over residue or WD-40, meth etc will do it as well. For the final cleaning on the glass I used T-cut polish (red) or you can get Glass T-cut polish (blue) which is very good also for car windscreen

If it's plastic instead of glass then you have to be very careful as it will scratch easily

Thanks Mason! Will def give it a go with a blade and at least try and get far enough to see how the colour is actually on the glass! Thanks for the tips! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back