Removing stamp from pressure treated wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently used some pressure treated wood to build a raised bed and stupidly didn't realise one of the stamps was facing outwards until it was far too late. Looking around the internet there is all kinds of advice out there about what to do to remove it, but most assumes that the wood in question will then be stained (and a lot is US focused advice). I am not planning on staining or painting this wood, and so was wondering what my options were?

Some suggest that over time the weather will mostly get rid of it - either water slowly washing it away or perhaps the sun will fade the ink over time - but others suggest it will just be there forever. If it's likely to fade over time, anyone have any idea how long that would take? I don't mind waiting it out, unless it will take a good 5 years...

Others suggest that sanding is the best option - which I am happy to do but as a very inexperienced woodworker is this likely to make the part where the stamp was look different compared to the rest of the piece of wood? It's a 2.4m long piece so sanding the whole thing would be a pain in the ar*e. I am also worried that by sanding I might actually lower it's lifespan due to removing outer layer of treatment? I know pressure treatment tends to go beyond just the surface - but anyone have any thoughts on this?

Then some suggest you can give it a good scrub - with various ideas of what you should be scrubbing with - and that might do the trick.

Any help appreciated! I have not yet even tried "just giving it a scrub", but thought I'd seek out some advice first...

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't do anything to it. You could grow a trailing plant in the raised bed to cover it up.

the writing will dissapear into the background [fade and become part off the furniture]far far easier and quicker than any action now you may find a magic way that your happy with but would suggest 90% chance you will finish up with a bodged attempt to remove some ink that will stand out as a disaster that needn't have happened for years rather than months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back