Removing stuck cistern lever

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace our cistern lever, but when I tried to remove the existing one the screw seems to be stuck fast.

I've tried copious amounts of WD40, which hasn't made any difference, and I have a big fat crosshead screwdriver, which initially was a good fit, but still ended up slipping.

Any practical suggestions how to get it off?

I've attached a pic below (it's a concealed cistern).
p.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Wow - I feel a little daft - it unscrewed relatively easily with grips.

I've managed to remove the screw, but the brass bracket underneath seems to be on the lever rod quite tightly - I managed to shift it a bit using the grips with one part against the end of the rod - but stopped (as I don't have the replacement yet, and wasn't sure I'd get it back on!).

Is there any trick to getting it off?

Finally, there's another cistern with the same problem (that I hope the grips will again fix). Worst case, would it be practical to saw the lever rod off instead (space is tight, so I might only be able to get a junior hacksaw in there)?

Sponsored Links
Clean the end of the shaft ( file or abrasive strip) ,remove the screw and put WD-40 down the hole ,and leave to penetrate for a while. Tapping the end of the shaft should get it on the move after that . If not ,cut through it with a hacksaw .

If your replacing the whole cistern lever with a complete new one, then I’d go for cutting it out with a junior hacksaw. The brass bracket - sometimes a gentle persuasion with a hammer and screwdriver does the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back