Removing stuck masking tape from glass...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, apologies I'm a tad new to all of this.

I thought I'd have a stab at painting a door, and put masking tape on the glass so I didnt paint on it. Most of the masking tape has come off fine after, just by easily pulling off.

However, one edge on the glass, the masking tape has gone strange, looks like its old/gone off or something strange and looks like its turned to glue. When I pull the tape it just stretches and sticks on the glass unlike the rest. It looks really well glued on (and yes it definitely was masking tape!)

I don't want to damage the glass getting it off, is there a good way to remove the remaining tape/glue (quite a bit of it), warm soapy water or something ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Acetone.

(Tip: many nail polish removers comprise mostly Acetone.)

Not since 7/7 they don't. White spirit will work too.

Ah yes; quite so.

You can still buy a small bottle of Acetone at a dispensing chemist - just paint your face white and leave the backpack outside.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, ended up doing it with lighter fluid after nearest shop had none and recommend it. Could have done it with white spirit though as had lots of that :).

Thanks again.

I'm doing this at the minute, just going bananas with a nice new sharp blade on a scraper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back