Removing tap nut without removing pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to re-seat the taps on my bath because when the shower sprays them, they leak through the hole and drip down. No problems at all with the pipes to the taps leaking.

I did the cold without any problems - it's on the "outside" and I could get a grip on the plastic nut with a plier (think it might be called a water pump plier?) and that loosened and did back up nicely.

However the hot is really inaccessible behind the overflow and because of the wall. A box spanner looks like it would do the job - but not with the pipe still connected.

Is there any way of doing this without removing the pipe? (Reattaching it in the small space would be a nightmare - plumbers must be very nimble.)

Thanks!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
You need a Basin Spanner - the bath size!

Lossen the nuts, lift the tap a llittle, clean, squeeze silcone under tap and do up.

Can be one of the hardest jobs in plumbing.
PS, some plumbers aren't all that nimble!

Ah, excellent, yes that looks just the thing.

Yep, that's exactly what I did with the cold and it has worked very nicely.

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's the sort of thing, thanks. That one's too small, though, for the tap nuts. I think they are probably 32 or 40mm (my 24mm spanner was too small).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back