Removing the spindle from a basin tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basin tap (Bensham from Bathstore) which has a non-rising spindle. The tap is of the 'Edwardian' style, with no shroud to cover the gland nut, so it doesn't have a clip at the top of the spindle, removal of which normally allows the spindle to be removed from the body.
I can't see how the spindle is retained in the body, and reasonable force to push it out achieves nothing. What is the solution, please?

Sponsored Links
If the tap is the compression type with the typical rubber washer, remove the entire insert, hold it in a vice and turn the spindle clockwise.....the mechanism should come out.
Give us a pic otherwise?
John :)

Thanks for your reply.
Turning the spindle clockwise simply ejects the part with washer and the hexagonal 'nut' with left-hand thread inside. (Not sure of the proper name for that, but I think of it as a worm follower, the 'worm' being the left-hand thread on the spindle). The spindle itself remains in the body and will rotate for ever without moving lengthwise.

I've never worked out how, but all of this sort of tap seem to slip a partial turn between worm and follower as they age, so that the washer eventually doesn't rise far enough off the seat and flow is much reduced. The solution I've used is to dis-assemble and screw the follower fully back onto the worm. Then I re-insert the spindle and follower into the body, taking care to engage the hexagonal part of the follwer with the hexagon inside the body. But my scope for doing this is limited if I can't get the spindle out of the body. Hence my question.

Thanks for your reply.
Turning the spindle clockwise simply ejects the part with washer and the hexagonal 'nut' with left-hand thread inside. (Not sure of the proper name for that, but I think of it as a worm follower, the 'worm' being the left-hand thread on the spindle). The spindle itself remains in the body and will rotate for ever without moving lengthwise.

I've never worked out how, but all of this sort of tap seem to slip a partial turn between worm and follower as they age, so that the washer eventually doesn't rise far enough off the seat and flow is much reduced. The solution I've used is to dis-assemble and screw the follower fully back onto the worm. Then I re-insert the spindle and follower into the body, taking care to engage the hexagonal part of the follwer with the hexagon inside the body. But my scope for doing this is limited if I can't get the spindle out of the body. Hence my question.
What you describe is a worn out tap, due for replacement.

Sponsored Links
Bensham ? From China ? I've just repaired a hose bib tap that had similar problems with worm wear - just used the innards of a pegler stopcock that I had from way back . That'll see me and the customer (friend) out ;)

foxhole: The tap certainly isn't worn out in my estimation (as an engineer).

Nige F: I've no idea if Bensham comes from China. I bought from Bathstore some time ago. They've recently been acquired by Homebase, so I've no idea if supply will continue. The design is 'old fashioned', with the body of the tap visible (no shroud) and the parts chrome palted. So substituting the (brass?) body from another tap isn't an option. (It might be technically possible, but unsightly).

I've managed to put it together satisfactorily (if not perfectly) without removing the spindle, and it's working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back