Removing the wall around protected stairway, 3-storey house

Sponsored Links
Apologies for hi-jacking this thread but its on the same lines, a protected stairway in a two storey house, ground and a first floor only.
No means of escape via windows, does the ground floor and 1st floor ceilings need to offer 30 minutes or is it just the tube of the protected stairway leading to a final exit.
Cheers Andy

If the windows on the first floor do not comply as escape windows then you need a protected staircase enclosure, walls, doors ceilings etc.

Generally the ceilings to the ground floor rooms need to be half hour fire resistance as well to protect the first floor joists as an element of structure. Irrespective of the protected staircase.

Seems a bit blunt that the document states this only applies to floors over 4.5m, the protected staircase can be upgraded to provide 30mins but the ceilings to the bedrooms and lounge floor are
Lathe and plaster.
Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if that's for me Woody, If means of escape isn't possible through windows then protected stair.
Would the ceilings outside the protected stair area, the ground floor ceilings underneath the bedrooms and the bedroom ceilings need to be upgraded if they were lathe and plaster.
Smoke alarms and a 30min protected stair is adequate?
Looking at part B fire resisting ceiling only come into play if floors are over 4.5m.

Not sure if that's for me Woody, If means of escape isn't possible through windows then protected stair.
Would the ceilings outside the protected stair area, the ground floor ceilings underneath the bedrooms and the bedroom ceilings need to be upgraded if they were lathe and plaster.
Smoke alarms and a 30min protected stair is adequate? You would only need to upgrade the existing ceilings if you are doing work that means the fire resistance of the ceiling would be less compliant than it was before. Off the top of my head I cannot think of any circumstance when that would apply.
Looking at part B fire resisting ceiling only come into play if floors are over 4.5m. Nope - that applies to dwellings under 4.5m too. But it is not retrospective so if the floor and ceilings are existing then it is not a problem.

A protected route is a route that has fire doors as well as 30 minutes walls, floors and ceilings.

This is not required in two storey houses.

A protected route is a route that has fire doors as well as 30 minutes walls, floors and ceilings.

This is not required in two storey houses.

So how are people on the first floor supposed to escape in the event of a fire?

Silly me! Why didn't I think of that. The fact that the ground floor may be a blazing inferno is just a minor inconvenience. :sneaky:
Yes, and bungalows are death traps if that's your thinking o_O

The point is, the regulations do not require a protected exit route in a two storey. The risk is different to three storeys and above

the regulations do not require a protected exit route in a two storey

I thought they did if there were no escape windows?

upload_2022-1-6_13-38-56.png

Is the OP building a new house?
No its a two storey extension on to an existing two storey detached house. Means of escape windows are not feasible in the new room.
The three other bedroom windows do not have escape windows, but they are existing and not being changed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back