Removing Thermal Paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to remove the old thermal paste from the CPU have got the majority off with an old credit card but what sort of chemicals can you use to remove the remainder, i have been told that nail varnish remover on a cotton bud will work, does anybody know if this is true ???

Sponsored Links
OOI, why do you need to clean it all off? Will a remaining smear do any harm?

Sponsored Links
Colclene used to be brilliant for that amongst a 101 other uses, sadly not sold anymore in original format.

I use Akasa TIM-Clean. After years of scraping and making a mess, this stuff just dissolves all the paste after a few swipes with a cotton bud (and it smells quite nice)
I have also used nail polish remover to good effect, but as it often contains other products as well as the acetone, it can leave deposits which can affect any subsequent reapplication of thermal paste. Not a major problem but might make your temps a degree or two higher.

Make sure you wipe the surface clean with a lint free cloth, as cotton buds can leave fibres behind which again can also affect temps and surface contact of the heatsink.

Another vote for arctic silver 5!

I use actic silver, but you'd have to be seriously anal to use that articleaner.:LOL: Of course, this is totally my own opinion.

Sponsored Links
Back