Removing tiles from paramount plasterboard wall

Thanks bathstyle. I haven't yet started this and going by how little time i have at the moment it may have to wait until I have some time off work before i can start.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richardadc.

I've got exactly the same situation in my en-suite, so would be really interested to know how you get on. I've also got some other things stopping me from pressing on with this but I'll also post up if I attack mine before you do yours.

I have found another couple of forums where people have suggested using gripfix (or equivalent) to replace the honeycomb cardboard with studs, but no-one has posted any results - bathstyle is the first post I've seen from someone who's actually done this. I'm 99% sure this is how I'll proceed unless anyone else out there has a better suggestion?

It's actually a straightforward repair, it takes a bit of common sense getting the levels right, in particular on the door wall, due to door liner. The rest is a breeze.

It's actually a straightforward repair, it takes a bit of common sense getting the levels right, in particular on the door wall, due to door liner. The rest is a breeze.

Can I ask what technique you use to remove the plasterboard without damaging the other side? Will I also find that the plasterboard would of been nailed in at the top and bottom or is it just held together by the honeycomb structure?

Sponsored Links
I know this post is very old now but I'm in a very similar position with paramount walls and wanting to affix things to it (wall hung basin furniture, kitchen units etc). My thinking is to do similar to what @bathstyle suggested and channel out the eggboxing where I want to put studs in (keeping the outer plasterboard in place and gripfilling to it but screwing plasterboard to the inside of the new studs). From what I've read, a normal stud wall uses timbers that are either 75mm or 100mm deep which determines the gap / overall depth of the wall with plasterboarded added either side. I believe this is part of building regs? So when adding timbers to an existing paramount wall, which I'm almost certain is going to be less than 75mm between the boards, is there likely to be any problems with this? Is it even advisable now or should the wall be rebuilt and done properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back