Removing old tiles to re-tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm removing the tiles in my shower room and it is a complete mess.

Basically I've discovered that a block wall had plasterboard dot-n-dabbed to it and was then tiled. The tiles then had plasterboard dot-n-dabbed to them and this plasterboard was then tiled.

Removing it all is a dusty mess as every tile freed bring a considerable amount of disintegrating plasterboard with it which then reveals another layer of tiles which then brings more plasterboard dust.

I am completed resigned to going back to the block wall but want to know if there is a less dusty way of doing it?

Also once I'm back to the block wall I'm wondering if I should batten out the wall and screw plasterboard to the battens to make it easier for the next chump. That way they'll only need to find the screws and remove and dispose of the plasterboard.

Any reason to dot-n-dab over battens?

Also, I constantly read reminders about the load capacity of plasterboard but as I've just described, a piece of plasterboard stuck to the wall has been tiled and then overboard and tiled again without failing. Makes the load figures seem a bit theoretical, no?

Sponsored Links
Back to your block walls and fix tanalised battens to them, followed by Wickes Aquapanel I'd say.
Can't say I've ever come across doubled plasterboards and double tiles :eek: - amazing what gets done.
I'm afraid the dust situation is unavoidable to a degree, but I had an air mover with a duct slung out of the window on one occasion which made things tolerable - and that was plaster too.
John :)

Pop into a HSS Hire, Jewsons etc and ask about an air mover like Burnerman has described. They should have something available. But, alas, there isn't a less dusty way I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back