Removing timber window from fully tiled internal reveal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone got any tips on how to extract a timber frame window without damaging a fully tiled internal reveal? Going to have some new windows fitted and a few sharp intakes of breath from surveyor when I expressed my concern at them cracking tiles on installation, which cannot be replaced. I'm thinking of scoring all round window / tile joint with a Stanley knife- what do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
Yes, a good scoring with a Stanley type knife should be the way to seperate the ceramic tiles from the wooden frame. Hopefully, there will be a bead of tile grout between the tiles and the frame, and this should be fairly easy to get out. A piece of broken hacksaw blade will help to "pull" the grout out from the recess.

mmmm part off the problem is they usualy cut the frame centraly and break in towards the centre

you may be ok by realeasing the tiles as discused before as long as theres a point on opposit side of the frame where they can cut through and slightly beyond the edge off the frame as the blade will be longer than the frame

had to replace a 6" bargeboard last week on a garage with only 2mm between the corrigated asbestos and the top of the wood
my solution which worked a treat using a recip saw was

pull the blade fully out measure accuratly cut 2 lengths 2x2" 2mm longer than the measurement
affix the battons with the top edges level with the frame the width off the teeth apart
saw carefully you will have to work the blade tipping the blade in to fully cut the frame pulling the firmly held saw down to progressivly realease the frame

you will finnish up with about 5mm uncut at the tile edge you could if its visible cut this carefully a handsaw

now if the tiles or grout are touching the frame the act of levering or hammering the frame away may disloge or break tiles so tape the edges so any loose broken tiles can be reafixed

and dont forget they have flat plastic sections from about 12mm to several inches to cover disturbance where the windows where removed from

clear as mud eeehhh :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice watchmaker & big-all- although you did lose me a little big-all!!....still wading through that mud!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back