Removing varnish from stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is going to take ages to do but i'd like to make my stairs look like this picture below:

I think the handrail has been varnished a mahogany colour and the balustrades are an ebony colour.

Tomorrow I'd like to stair preparing the stairs. It currently has a varnish on it. I took some pictures of it below:

View media item 63408
I went in to B&Q this evening and a lady said that i need to get out some medium grit sandpaper and use some elbow grease.

I asked her about using a paint and varnish remover, but she said that that could cause problems when I varnish again (dark spots and light spots).

Are their any machine tools to use on the tight areas?

What grit sandpaper should I use?

Sponsored Links
What grit sandpaper should I use?

I'm not a professional decorator, but I'd start with 60 grit and work down to 120 for a fine finish.

Speaking personally, I'd reconsider my design options rather than start what will be a very faffy job. You could get a nice traditional Victorian effect by painting the spindles and stringer white, then going over the handrail and finials with several coats of thinned darker varnish, sanding between coats. Obviously that may not be what you want; it's just a suggestion ;)

Cheers
Richard

Also you need to bear in mind that if already stained and varnished your stain will not penetrate through unless all the varnish is removed, which as said above, will be really fiddly in the tight corners and will end up looking patchy.

If you must then at least try it on a relatively discrete area so if you have to abandon it then it won't notice too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back