Floor Sanding/Varnishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helloooo

Recently hired a floor sander/edger to remove the varnish on a wooden floor with the intention of re-varnishing in a new colour.
I have literally just finished applying the first coat of new varnish and can see some very obvious sanding marks. I`m using Ronseal DiamondHard varnish (Dark Oak) which recommends several coats. Are these sanding marks likely to become less obvious after the 2nd and 3rd coats or has my prep not been good enough and therefore I'll need to remove the first coat and re-sand to a better finish?

Any tips for achieving a quality finish?

Thanks for the advice
P

Sponsored Links
I doubt your marks will disappear if you add more coats. Sounds like more prep needed. Did you finish with a fine grit in the direction of the grain?

Painful as it probably is to hear (and I've had this problem several times myself), the only way to get rid of those marks is likely to be further sanding.

My hall floor is currently giving me accusing looks of exactly this kind because I didn't re-sand after spotting some edging sander marks. Wish I'd done some more sanding, but the missus wanted it finished even with the marks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back